My Diabetes Project – Terminology
You may meet many different doctors and specialists after being diagnosed with diabetes.
They are all there for the same purpose: to keep you as healthy as possible while you deal with this illness.
Medical/ Health specialists
Apart from your general practitioner, the specialists may include:
- An endocrinologist, can provide specialised diabetes knowledge and care
- A dietician, nurse, or certified diabetes educator, can give you information on how to manage your diabetes
- A councillor or mental health professional, can help you work through any potential emotional difficulties you may experience after being diagnosed
- A pharmacist, can help keep track of any medications you take for your diabetes
- A dentist, can help if your high blood sugar levels have affected your teeth and gums
- An ophthalmologist or optometrist (eye doctor) can screen for potential sight issues
- A podiatrist (or foot doctor), can help handle problems with your legs and feet if they arise
Other issues that could arise from Diabetes.
This section is under development.